If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, October 18, 2013

Bo La Lot ( Vietnamese Grilled Lemongrass Beef wrapped in Wild Betel Leaf)

Sometime i feel my kitchen is like International café, I cook Chinese, Japanese, Malay, India, Thai, Vietnam, Italian & etc..I am especially like to cook those dishes that I have tasted in a restaurant or foods that I tasted while travelling. I have been cooking few Thai dishes and Vietnamese dishes, hopefully I can post it up soonest since my memory still fresh. I first tasted Bo La Lot was at the Ben Tahn market . The other day when I tried to clean up some of the wild betel leaves wildly spread at the backyard, perfect timing to try this Bo La Lot (Vietnamese Grilled Lemongrass Beef wrapped in Betel Leaf)).


bll14 copy
This is how Vietnam peoples like to enjoy Bo La Lot, with a lot of fresh herbs, rice vermicelli, and with Vietnamese style of chili dipping sauce

bll17 copy

 
I learnt this Nuoc cham sauce (Vietnamese chili dipping sauce) from a shop owner in Ben Than market while I buying fish sauce from her.
 

bll12


bll13 copy

 
Ingredients for Bo La Lot
bll6 copy


bll7


bll8

 
I just roll it the most simple ways, actually there are few difference way of wrapping it.
bll9


bll21.jpg

 
I simply grill them in a oven, if grill on charcoal fire, it will be perfect!
bll22.jpg

 
When my daughter first tasted this Bo La Lot,  " Mom, this is so juicy and yummy ".
My tips is add some water into the mixture to make it moist..

bll16 copy

 
since my little son can't accept betel leaf, I also grill some chicken, using same seasonings but with additional of fresh turmeric
bll11


bll19
I always love Vietnamese foods, with a lot of fresh herbs and salad.

bll18 copy



Bo La Lot ( Vietnamese Grilled Lemongrass Beef wrapped in Wild Betel Leaf)
(recipe source: ref to here and here, recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

330g beef mince
2 lemongrass stems, white part only, sliced
bll17 copy 2 shallots, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped

3/4tsp salt
1/2tbsp fish sauce
1tsp sugar
White pepper
1tsp cooking oil
1tbsp water
1/2tbsp corn flour

Fresh wild betel leaves (daun kaduk) , washed and pat dry
Wooden skewers, soak in water

Method

  1. Pound lemongrass white stems, shallots and garlic with a mortar and pestle.
  2. Combine lemongrass mixture, beef and all seasonings in a mixing bowl, mix till evenly combined.
  3. To form the rolls, lay one betel leaf shiny side down with the stem of the leaf pointing towards you. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture onto the bottom half of the leaf and roll the leaf from bottom to top, like a sausage roll
  4. Use a wooden skewer to pierce a hole through the leaf, through which the stem may be inserted to fasten the roll. Repeat this process with the remaining betel leaves and beef mixture.
  5. Use a wooden skewers to skewer few rolls together, which will make turning for even cooking easier
  6. Brush cooking oil on all rolls, grill at a pre-heated oven at 190C for 5-10mins.

Nuoc cham sauce (Vietnamese chili dipping sauce)

200ml hot water
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar
1tbsp fish sauce
1/4tsp salt
1 and ½ lime juices
2 fresh red chili, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped

Method

  1. Melt sugar with hot water.
  2. Mix all seasonings, chili and garlic together, adjust the taste accordingly.

To serve Bo La Lot - scatter crushed roasted peanuts over the top of cold rice vermicelli noodles. Serve with nuoc cham sauce in individual bowls for dipping together with fresh salad and herbs ( carrot, bean sprouts, cucumber, basil leaves, coriander leaves and mint leaves)

28 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

these look so awesomely authentic! you are just a master chef

Somewhere in Singapore said...

How I wish I were your neighbour...

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

Sonia, 你真的是有一手的好厨艺, 任何种族的食物你都能烹饪出一道美食, 很赞!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

sonia的手艺是一级棒的,有机会要去你家吃international buffet了,肯定难不倒你的。

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Sonia, I saw this on your Instagram the other day, looks so appetizing. I dunno why but my betel leaf is taking forever to grow.....

Mel said...

Your family is so blessed to always have different dishes on their dining table very often. You present your dishes very well and always look very appetizing.

Small Kucing said...

You are the best. Looks so yummy. I hv to star growing betel leaves

Little blue said...

So special, I think wrapping the outside is seeweed....

CQUEK said...

I have never tasted it before...

Esther Lau said...

Everything look yummy there. Wish I can try some :)

Alice said...

I seldom cook beef, almost never, we just dun really fancy beef, except for some irreplaceable dish such as steak, etc..
but this dish you cook really makes me drooling!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Awesome, Delicious and Lovely looking rolls. Must have tasted awesome.
Deepa

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

看来,经你这么一介绍,等日流消退,我可以考虑越南餐咯,哈。。。。。。想说谢谢你,你很棒!我衷心地佩服你!

shaz said...

I love that u are inspired by your travels and your backyard. Truly inspired cooking.

PH said...

Sonia, your family is so lucky leh! I love Vietnamese food very much. All those herbs so aromatic and appetizing and healthy!

Unknown said...

I have never tried betel leaves... this dish looks really special. Those chicken skewers look really delicious too!

Crystal Loh said...

Sonia,真希望有那样一天,可以尝试你的好厨艺。太太太吸引了。好赞

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I certainly agree , an international cafe indeed and you made/cooked those dishes so well ;D

QembarDelites said...

I don't cook beef at home but love eating them at restaurant, next time I shall look out for this dish! Looks delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great with all those fresh herbs and vegetables!

Janine said...

I love vietnamese food too, but betel leaves are a little adventurous for me, because I don't really like the "liang" taste to it. Does grilling remove the taste a little?

Angie's Recipes said...

You cook and bake so well, Sonia. I am really curious about betel leaves. This looks so appetizing and beautiful.

Vi Vian said...

I thought it was more complicated to make this before I read your blog post! Can't wait to make it!

lena said...

you are always an inspiration..international cafe? hehe..pls save some thai dishes for next month AFF -Thai, i will b hosting :)

Sokehah cheah said...

I'd love this. I do like Viet food, not so oily and it's refreshing too.

Anonymous said...

the bo ba llot do not use betel leaves (daun sireh) but wild pepper leaves (daun kaduk). i have made these and they go great with rice

Unknown said...

Thiese topics and article are so information based.This is so interesting blog. You are best listing knowledge provide at this site. I am very excited read this nice article. This is great and important elements in the modern world that mean Lemon Grass.

Unknown said...

Hi,I'm so impressed by your blog at the first time and I have learned so many things from you since then.I am happy that you love Vietnamese food,too :) For this dish we often grill the beef rolls over charcoal burner,it gives an authentic taste of our traditional Bo La Lot.But sometime it's quite bother to set up a charcoal fire so we just simple fry them,also good taste!And I love your way using oven,too.Fry will add a little more fat than bake them in the oven!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin