If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Yam Ring with Assorted vegetables(with recipe)

I'm so satisfied with the result of this yam ring I cooked today for the 1st time, crispy skin and soft yam filling, Hokkian people called this " Or Put"..


IMG_1650



IMG_1654



IMG_1666



Yam ring with assorted vegetables
Yam ring ingredients:-

Yam 200g ( the weight is after cooked, try to use good quality of yam, I use"Penang Or")
Rice flour 1tbsp
Lard oil 4-5 tsp ( I started with 2tsp, but keep adding, till I forgot the exact amount, so you adjust accordingly, till you get soft and not too sticky dough) .
Salt 1/4tsp
Sugar 1 and ½ tsp
Pepper
Chinese five-spice powder ( optional, I did not put this)

Steps to make yam ring:-
1. Steam the yam until cooked.
2. Mash the yam and add rice flour and seasoning, mix well until soft and not too sticky dough.
3. Shape into ring and deep fry the ring till golden brown (oil must cover the whole ring)

** I use doughnut cutter to shape, and use fingers to shape it more thinly, this is to save oil and easy to handle when frying.

Chicken filling ingredients:- ( You may add those veggie that you like, your choice !! )
Chicken meat
Mushroom
water chestnuts, cubed
Onion, cubed
zucchini, cubed
red pepper/capsicum,cubed
garlic
water

1. Stir fry above ingredients till cooked, seasoning with oyster sauce and salt.

How to serve Yam ring:-Pour the mixed vegetables into the yam ring and serve the dish immediately !!!

p/s This dish have to use lard oil, it will not taste as good if you use other type of hearty oil/shortening to replace, trust me...

Do enjoy Cooking!!!

33 comments:

Emily said...

Oh great! a yam ring recipe coming up soon! Me and my two gurls love yam rings!

Colin Woon said...

This is my wife's favorite dish! Good job girl!

I have to say, awesome photos! The last shot is my fav! Great lighting, great composition! Simply awesome!

Anonymous said...

Waiting for recipe ! Although i don't know what this is....it looks delicious...like a crab cake : ) !

Jhonny walker said...

Waiting waiting and waiting...

米亚 said...

The last photo looks fantastic! You are definitely on the ball...! The yam ring is my fav too (i seem to like a lot of food dont i?), but but... I dont know how to make it... so you have to post the recipe asap... I cant wait...!!! hehehe...

My Little Things Corner said...

aiyoyo, waiting for your recipe, i want try, looks so delicious!
Can i know how to buy a good yam?

苏联妈妈 said...

Or Put...i love it ! admired u~~~

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

You should be really proud of yourself. This yam ring looks so professionally done, like from a restaurant!

Sherleen.T said...

hi...first time visit ur blog.
ur yam ring is amazing, very nice looking and tempting...i ll come again!!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Oh I love yam ring and I will attack this piece first while waiting for the recipe

Kath said...

Hi Kawan, will be waiting anxiously for the recipe. My mum's favourite :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

One of my favourite dish! Yum!

hsling said...

we call this "or neh"(芋泥)in Foochow

Rachel Hei said...

oh, i love yam ring.. normally i ate yam ring more than the ingredient inside when order in the restaurant.. haha

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, please find here the recipe for your trying, Happy Cooking !!!

tracieMoo said...

Waaa.. looks very niceee.. I always order this when I'm eating in chinese restaurant. Now I can make my own! Thanks for the recipe, Sonia. It looks delicious.

Pei-Lin said...

Agreed! Looks good for a first-timer! Yummy! Would like to try this someday ... We're half Teochew, half-Cantonese here ... Thanks for sharing Sonia!

Pei-Lin

ICook4Fun said...

This will be one dish I will order if it is in the menu. I am crazy over yam. Looking forward to the recipe.

My Asian Kitchen said...

bravo!! your yam ring really look like the one sell in restaurant! Hmmm must try your recipe one day soon!

ai wei said...

lovely!!! you can make something like the one from restaurant! ^V^

Bakeling said...

I like yam too .
Good photos attract us and make us drool :)!

petite nyonya said...

Sonia, your yam ring looks truly good, exactly like the restaurant version!! I would love to try this when I'm settled down in my new plc. I think one needs some good skills to prepare this for sure.

SueSue said...

This yam ring is cute. Is it a mini one? It is one of my kids favourite. Whenever we dine out, the 1st dish to order is yam ring with ku lou yoke inside the yam ring.

J.O said...

嘿嘿~这道芋头做的菜
华文是不是叫佛本漂香:P

canon相机果然不错
不过我已经有两台相机了
暂时不需要买新的;)

pigpigscorner said...

I only have this at restaurants! Looks so good! nice texture...

MaryMoh said...

oh....these yam rings look so cute and pretty, so diff from the usual big ones served in restaurants. I would prefer these small ones. I will have to try. Very creative to use donut rings to make. Thanks for sharing.

smarthousewife said...

This is a great idea, and adds the fun of eating yam. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for your lovely words, since your all love this yam ring, do try out this mini size of yam ring, I bet you will love it.

Palidor said...

Those look soooo tasty, Sonia! I would love to try those.

Anonymous said...

Can also find Yam rings, Yam cakes and Yam cookies at Jonker.

If you could share Jonker Walk to the world. I thank you. Many have yet to discover its’ beauty.
Antique to Astrology, Fabric to Food … … … to Zodiac Study.

click here for another Jonker’s story
click here as You name it !

Anonymous said...

Finally found this recipe! Thanks, Sonia!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi sonia, may i know what type of yam that you used in this recipe? I have try other recipe but never succeed ..hopefully with your recipe i will be able to prepared yam ring for my family...tq

Regard
alexstanleykelly

Anonymous said...

Hi sonia sorry to bother you again but pls ignore my question before ... just read your recipe again and find that you do mentioned of yam that you used...again sorry...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin